The Minister for Roads and Highways, Mr. Kwesi Amoako-Atta has made it known that government will soon terminate the contract of “non-resourceful” contractors to ensure effective delivery of government projects in the construction sector.
“In Ghana, the challenge is that everybody wants to be a contractor but most of them are not resourceful and the government is taking steps to stop that from next week,” Mr. Amoako said.
Mr. Amoako made the above statement during a press briefing in Wa after he inspected roads that were washed off by torrential rainfalls on August 12, 2021, in the region.
According to the Minister, road contractors were only to be paid after they had finished executing the contracted project except in the case mobilization. This was to allow enough room for the government to pay contractors.
However, given the non-resourceful situation of contractors, which affects the plans of the government to the Ghanaian people, the government will not hesitate to terminate the contracts of such contractors from its books.
Mr Amoako revealed the Upper West Region has a total of 106 road projects that were currently being executed across the three road agencies including the 50kms Han-Tumu Road. He noted that government intends to ensure that the roads are completed by end of 2022, as such effective monitoring of contractors is underway.
Any contractor that proved incapable of completing the project will have their contracts terminated, he reiterated.
On the issue of outstanding payments to contractors who completed their contracted projects, Mr Amoako noted that the government was aware of such contractors and is currently pulling every stop to ensure payment.
Mr Amoako made mention that there was no government without outstanding payments to contractors and that since President Akufo-Addo took over the office in 2017, outstanding payments were dating back to 2011. According to him, the government has been able to pay close to GH¢12 billion to contractors during the first term.
In his final remark, Mr Amoako urged contractors to support the government in delivering quality roads to the people of Ghana following the success of 2020, which was declared the year of roads by President Nana Akufo-Addo.
In 2019, the Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, spoke at the 43rd celebration of Kobine festival at Lawra in the Upper West Region and indicated that the government will clear 80% of arrears owed road contractors before the end of November that year with the remaining 20% to receive payments later on.
Prior to and since the announcement, road contractors have expressed anger over constant promises by the government to have their arrears paid.