Be it a snack, dessert or meal on its own, Springrolls remains one of Ghana’s favourite pastries. Follow these simple steps to learn how to make spring rolls the Ghanaian way.
Ingredients for preparing springrolls
4 Tablespoons of flour
1 Tablespoon margarine
3 Tablespoons Mixed Veggies
1/2 onion chopped
1 medium-sized Chicken breast (chopped)
Egg white as a binding agent
Oil for deep frying
How to make Springrolls
-Pour the plain flour into the mixing bowl and add the salt to taste
– Add the margarine/1 Table vegetable oil and mix well
– Add cold water to make a soft dough
-Allow dough to rest and prepare the stuffing
-Put your saucepan on the hub and add about a tablespoon of oil
– Add the onion and fry for about a min
– Add the chopped chicken breast
– Allow to cook through for about 5min, whiles turning intermittently.
– Add the mixed veggies and allow on for another 5 min
– Add a little water to make it saucy
– Add a little gravy powder/ flour to keep it more like gravy sauce
– Allow the sauce to cool
– Take the dough and with the rolling pin on the board or work surface, roll the dough till its very flat and light.
-Cut the dough into good sizes
– Use egg white as a sticking agent and with the pastry brush, brush the egg white over the pastries
– Put in the fillings on the individual doughs and fold them nicely, making sure all ends are nicely tucked in.
– Egg wash the rolls
– Deep fry the rolls in hot frying oil, so they don’t go soggy
– Remove when golden brown and allow to cook.
You can serve spring rolls with shito or a sauce of choice or with your favourite chilled fruit juice.