The Board of Directors of the Metro Mass Transit Limited (MMT) has been dissolved, a statement signed by Chief of Staff, Prosper Bani, said.

According to the statement, Managing Director of the MMT, Noble John Appiah, and his deputy John Awuku Dzuazah have also been asked to step aside for investigations to commence into the operations of the Company.

“The President, H.E. John Dramani Mahama, has asked Brigadier General I. B. Quartey (Rtd.) to take over the management of the company pending the conclusion of the investigations.”

Staff of the state-run transport company recently called a nationwide strike following the alleged disappearance of buses from some of the company’s yards across the country.

Investigations carried by Nhyira FM’s Ohemeng Tawiah have revealed some 11 buses belonging to the company disappeared from the depots under strange circumstances.

Ohemeng Tawiah reports, at least two of the buses were recently sighted at an auto mechanic workshop in Kumasi.

The protesters demanded the removal from office of the Deputy MD, Mr. Dzuaza, as well as Board Chair, Osabarima Ansah Sasraku III.

The industrial action was called off following a meeting between Transport Minister; Dzifa Attivor, the MD; Noble John Appiah and the leadership of the workers’ union.

Some aggrieved staff on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 mounted a siege at the office of the Deputy MD at the Kaneshie yard and deflated the tyres of his 4×4 vehicle.

Mr. Dzuaza had to be whisked away by the police who were called in to restore order.

But leadership of the workers union say, it would be difficult to convince their members to change their plans.

Engineer John Awuku Dzuazah was entering his office for the first time after Monday’s strike by workers for his dismissal and that of the Board Chairman, Osabarima Ansah Sasraku III.

But shortly after the meeting with officials of the Transport Ministry, Chairman of the Senior Staff Union, Delali Kumah, who tried to calm the workers told Nhyira FM it would be difficult to persuade the workers.

“On hearing what happened this morning, the Chief Director for the Ministry of Transport promptly drove in and asked that we calm our members down whilst they work assiduously at our issues so that the DMD could return to work. We told him it is difficult on our part because we cannot guarantee his personal safety if he reported to work in this condition,” Mr Delali Kumah said.

The workers are angry at Mr. Dzuazah and accused him of breaching company policy by nicodemously picking up a new Landcruiser vehicle meant to replace his official accident vehicle.

According to Mr Delali Kumah, the leadership of the union will start engaging members of the two unions for a possible resolution.

But he concedes the leadership will have a difficult task persuading the members to accept the return of the Deputy Managing Director back in office.

“We are now going to engage the workers and the vibe that we’ll pick from them will determine what actually we could do or we could not do.

From the action that was undertaken this morning it is very difficult; it’s an uphill task, but we will still test their pulse. We will try our best to see how we can convince them to allow him to return,” Delali Kumah explained.

Source: Joy Online